Loving Yourself From Every Angle


I took these pictures (whilst trying on coats in a River Island fitting room) to compare my profile from either side, and to look at the back of my head (always weird). I can look pretty different from different sides and angles, and I wanted to talk about this because it's a source of stress for a lot of people, but it doesn't have to be.

When I'm in a fitting room I get to see myself from several directions. It's as close to looking at myself from a different body as I can get (I haven't quite pinned down the art of telepathic possession just yet). This is amazing, because I can look at myself and see that no one could possibly see my supposed flaws without seeing some of my favourite things about myself at the same time.

I find it helpful to think of every little thing about me as part of one whole, each piece inseparable from my full physical self. Picking out one thing about your body that bothers you is like scrutinising a thimble of water from a river. We're landscapes. Moving worlds with climates and seasons and atmospheres and tectonic plates. Does it bother you if Mars is bigger on one side, or if Venus isn't the same colour all over? We're our own beautiful planets.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x