Clothes & Magazines & Ponies

I spent hours in shops today because I like clothes and can look at them for a long time before going into a dangerous clothes trance. I love window shopping. I used to hate trying clothes on, but now I like it because while I’m in the dressing room I can think of a million reasons not to buy all of the things, and have all the fun of wearing them anyway, for a bit. I noticed that New Look and Topshop both stock that exact stripy sleeveless top, for different prices of course. I did buy the black dress with the white peter pan collar from New Look after some lengthy reasoning, but the rest went back on the shelves. I’m pretty sure I will need to acquire a top to bottom stripe ensemble though, because looking like a stick of rock would be a dream come true. I could get some sort of flat circular hat with my name written on it in a curve. 

You can never wear too many stripes.

New Look.

New Look.

New Look.

H&M.

H&M.

New Look.

A t-shirt that I can relate to - H&M boys.

I saw a lot of girls wearing lacy tights and Doc Martens today. I wanted to scoop them all up and turn them into my gang. I don’t even own lacy tights or Doc Martens, much as I like those things, although I did once have some Primark knock off boots and the sole of one of them came off in the street the first time I met Natalya and I had a wonky walk for the rest of the day.
There were lots of groups of teenagers hanging around at the bottom level of the shopping centre and they looked happy and made me miss school. I miss seeing the same friends every day and bonding through being forced to endure the drone of dull teachers.
I complimented someone on their dip-dyed pink hair, and someone else on their Looney Tunes denim jacket. They are also totally invited to join my lacy tights and Doc Martens gang.
The magazine section of WHSmith smelled really good because it just smelled like that magazine smell, you know the one. Eau de magazine pages. My favourite. I really adore magazines and it would be nice to have a subscription, but there’s not a particular magazine I’ve found that I like enough to buy. I used to get the anime/manga magazine Neo for a while until I decided that watching anime would probably be better than reading about it.
I like looking at the kid’s magazines. They often have wonderfully tacky free gifts that are much more appealing than the magazine itself (see My Beautiful Princess magazine - I like the rings). As a proud tomboy I always viewed teen girl magazines through a thick lens of disgust, but I did buy Mizz once or twice and I’m pretty sure my mum teased me about it and I mostly just judged everyone in the CRINGE! section for being embarrassed about such incredibly non-embarrassing things such as existing near a boy or witnessing a parent dare to say hello to one of your friends. I also love how the shelves are full of tacky and loud children’s magazines with sparse content, while Anorak sits amongst them and sticks out like a sore thumb. A beautiful sore thumb.
If I was going to choose a frivolous children’s magazine to buy right now I think it would be Pony Pals, because ponies are quite nice, so are toy ponies, and I have fond memories of getting My Little Pony magazine a few times when I was younger. If we’re talking adult magazines it’s probably going to be the NME or something.
Do you have any memories about magazines? Talk to me about the magazines you like. Magazine club!

4 comments:

  1. I never really bought magazines. Occasionally, I got comics. I remember one summer evening when I was younger I went for a walk with my dad and we stopped at a shop and he bought me The Dandy, Desperate Dan and his Cow Pies were always great. I think The Dandy was my favourite, still kind of is, but I did read The Beano and a couple of times I got Bunty, which actually had nice stories. The Four Marys kind of annoyed me sometimes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got The Beano almost every week for a long time, and often The Dandy but not always. I don't remember particularly having a preference though. Desperate Dan is an inspiration to us all. My favourites from The Beano were The Numskulls, Minnie The Minx, and Calamity James.

      Delete
  2. What size shoe are you?
    I have some black patent with imprinted croc pattern Doc Martens Originals hidden away somewhere you can totally have if I can find them / if they're your size. They're too big for me. I bought them as a back up to my other pair but yep. Wrong size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet of you! I'm a 5 and a half, although I've fit sizes 4 to 7 before because apparently shoes are a total mystery.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x