My 5 Favourite Japanese Films

I featured one Japanese film in my previous post detailing 'My 10 Favourite Films', but I have a more dedicated list of Japanese films to share, which I thought deserved its own post, so here goes.


1. The Happiness of the Katakuris


This is a murder musical with the odd bit of claymation. A family own an inn. Bad things happen. They sing about it. It's great, The bits with Richard Sagawa (pictured above) are my favourites.


2. April Bride


This film is about a blossoming relationship and breast cancer. It was beautiful. I cried my butt off. Watch with caution.


3. GeGeGe no Kitarō


A 2007 live action film based on the popular 1960s manga of the same name, Kitaro is a goofy story about various supernatural characters. There's a 2008 sequel which is fun too. Eiji Wentz's wig in either film is not good.


4. L: Change The World


I thought this L-based spin off was much better than the Death Note film, but then again I just love L, so you know. He's looking after kids and eating chocolate. I've forgotten the rest of the plot, but that's all you need to know.


5. The Grudge


Sorry to be super obvious but I have watched this film so many times and every time I love it, so I had to include it even though it's got to be one of the most well known Japanese films in existence. I have to say I am a big fan of this style of horror movie. I like the way the ghosts' stories unfold in this as well as the Ring series, Dark Water, and lots of others, but The Grudge is a particularly well contained story. I kinda wanna watch it now, actually.

Other interesting Japanese films include Uzumaki (I wrote a review on it here - the film is worth a watch, but the manga is much better), Hausu, and The Taste of Tea (I haven't finished watching this one, but it's really cool and involves an apparition of a little girl's giant head).

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've watched many Japanese movies other than Spirited Away but the first movie sounds really good! Who doesn't love a good old murder musical? Haha! x

    Christina Marie - xtinagsays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Spirited Away in so long. I've been meaning to rewatch it for ages, but I suppose having a slightly hazy memory of it makes it seem a little more magical. Murder musicals, yeah, my favourite genre.
      ;-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x