Pinocchio: My First K-drama


I've been meaning to start watching some Asian dramas (primarily Korean and Japanese) for a long time, but (aside from two episodes of the immensely cringy Clone Baby) I have never gotten around to it - until now.


I looked through a list of popular Korean dramas and picked out Pinocchio (피노키오), a 2014-2015 series that centres around the concept of 'Pinocchio Syndrome' - a fictitious condition which causes afflicted persons to hiccup when they lie. I thought the concept sounded pretty fun and interesting, so I decided to check this one out.


Pinocchio's tone is a little strange to get used to at first. It hops between moments of winking silliness and quite densely emotional scenes in a way that can feel a bit jarring, but I got used to this after a while. The story unfolds in such a way as to override that initial tonal awkwardness, or at least that was my experience after watching a few episodes.


There's quite a bit going on, and the show navigates its leaps in time quite well. Characters are somewhat cartoonish, but also lovable and relatable. For me, Pinocchio is filled with a good balance of heartache, humour, and hope.


It's cute, it's silly, it plucks at the heartstrings, and I am very much enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you should try TWENTY AGAIN. This kdrama is about a woman's road to self-discovery. I enjoyed it tremendously and if you have the time do check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation! I'll make sure to check it out. :o)

      Delete
  2. I just started watching my first k-drama yesterday too! Descendants of the Sun, soo funny so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! I'll have to check that one out too! :-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x