My Top 5 Favourite Games

Video games, am I right? I'm right. Here are five of them. Let's say these are the five games I'd currently choose to accompany me on a desert island. Let's also assume that said desert island has plug sockets.

Skyrim



I love Skyrim because: I have a demon horse, I enjoy kicking pots and pans over, I like when dead dragons spawn above my head and fall on me, and I love eating a thousand sweet rolls in one go. The expansive open world and the endless mythology and hidden old ghosts with grudges in caves are all so engrossing and brilliant. Also I like shooting loads of arrows into Belethor's face

Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver



I think these were some of the best games in the franchise. They were perfectly crafted remakes of the original Gold and Silver (which would be my first choice if not for these remakes), and your Pokémon would follow you around like in Yellow. That's the number one thing I'd like to see as a fixture in future Pokémon games because wow, that's cute. Also it's fun to have a huge Snorlax behind you. The Johto and Kanto combination was also really cool and did a lot to make the game feel bigger and better.

Final Fantasy VII



This game is so dense and weird and psychologically effective and silly in all the right places. I have replayed it so many times and I never stop wanting to replay it either. I love the music, the atmosphere, the lore, and all the little extras slotted in everywhere. If I had to only play one game for the rest of my life, it would probably be this.

Spyro the Dragon



Sarcastic young dragon? All the big dragons encased in crystal? Those egg stealer guys? Many extremely shiny gems? Sign me up. This is another game with an incredible soundtrack, and the sense of humour in both this and Crash Bandicoot were probably the most important elements to the games. This is the most wholesome and fun game.


Animal Crossing: New Leaf



No game series is as tranquil and lovely as Animal Crossing. Once you get invested in your town and villagers it feels as if you have built a real community. It feels as if you have real cute animal neighbours to go and visit every day (without actually moving). I think this game is really good for my mood, and oddly gives me a sense of importance because I know my villagers will miss me when I'm gone. It's astounding how much of a real emotional connection it's possible to have with these characters - even the snooty ones!

***

So those are my favourites at the moment. It will be interesting to see how this list changes in the future, as a bunch of these games are games I've been playing over fifteen years, but Skyrim and Animal Crossing: New Leaf were relatively new discoveries. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how the Final Fantasy VII remake turns out.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God I used to love Spyro <3 Have you ever played Sly Cooper? I think he's the only raccoon I've ever had a crush on! Cool post by the way :)

    http://littlemortal1.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only played a demo but he seems pretty cool! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lil,

    I haven't played Skyrim but would love to give it a try! FFVII is a classic that I played way back in the days, same with Spyro the Dragon.

    Lately, I've really been into the Assassin's Creed series just because I'm a big fan of history and traveling (although the history is somewhat inaccurate of course since it's 'historical fiction.') I also love open world games.

    My top 5 would probably be:

    1. Assassin's Creed (series)
    2. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
    3. Pokemon Gold & Silver (Heart Gold and Soul Silver are great too)
    4. Mario Kart N64
    5. SimCity 4


    Love your list too, Lil!


    Ron | Nearby Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ron!

      I've played a little Assassin's Creed but I didn't find it all that engaging for me for a few reasons. It's fun though, but I can't get into it as much as I can with other games. Mario Kart is great! I used to play that with my uncle when I was little.

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Lil!

      Yes, I guess it is somewhat gory to many but I love the politics in the series. The AC series also have some interesting take on certain world events like the great earthquake in Lisbon, The American Revolution, the Crusades, the Industrial Revolution, and the Golden Age of Piracy--and so much more!

      I also love Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing of course! and all the games in those franchises.

      Happy Gaming, Lil!


      Ron | Nearby Wanderer

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x