13 Of The Best '00s Anthems

Amy Studt rolling her eyes at everything around her

Let me take you through a beautiful musical journey through the decade in which I transitioned from a Jaffa Cake obsessed 9 year old to a Jaffa Cake obsessed 19 year old. THEMS WERE THE DAYS. Here are some song choices spanning the decade.

1. Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me (2001)


Let's start off with a self-hating angst song that still somehow manages to feel kind of light in tone. I always really liked the morphing effect in the video, and a special shout out goes to Pink's final stage outfit. That is very 2001.

2. DJ Sammy - Heaven (2002)


Once upon a time, I didn't know this was originally a Bryan Adams song. I know, I've suffered. Still, this was cracking. I can almost smell the gel pens when I listen to it.

3. Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up (2003)


This song was overplayed beyond belief when it was released, but over a decade later I am no longer filled with rage when I hear it. I particularly like the bits where they say "y'know". Those are good.
STOP THE TALKING BABY, OR I START WALKING BABY

4. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes (2003) 


I vaguely remember a lot of CLUB TUNES being around, and this was one I really liked. Now whenever I hear that echo-ey stark synth sound I feel all wistful and slightly longing to cover myself in body glitter. Mind you, that's just like any normal Saturday.

5. Amy Studt - Misfit (2003)


Amy Studt is amazing and I really like pretty much everything she's done since this. This song was my jam when it came out because I was part of that doesn't-really-fit-in-anywhere-else mishmash kind of friend group in high school, so we thought we were massive outsiders (we were, but also, we kind of weren't). Similarly to Amy's other hit, Just A Little Girl, Misfit was a nice "you are all awful" anthem, which was absolutely necessary at the time.

6. Stacie Orrico - (There's Gotta Be) More To Life (2003)


Stacie Orrico had this particular vibe that I can't quite explain that I really liked. I'm not sure if this song is supposed to be a despairing song or an uplifting one, and therein lies its genius. Ignoring the song itself for a moment though, the video is to this day one of my favourite music videos ever. A simple concept really, but perfectly executed, she plays the part of a host of characters from businesswoman to runner to fashion model, and then finally at the end she's her actual self and her hair is gently blowing in the wind like she is an angel (with an industrial hairdryer).

my favourite is waitress Stacie

I think this is her as a spy

7. Blink 182 - I Miss You (2004)


This was when Blink were starting to loose the goofy fart joke thing for a more sombre vibe, which was perfect for my then 13 year old self, as I was also transitioning into the very sombre event we call puberty. They did it so well, and as much as I love early Blink 182, their 2004 self-titled/untitled smiley face album remains my favourite.

8. McFly - 5 Colours In Her Hair (2004)


I actually really disliked McFly when they were introduced, but now it just seems like quite sweet we-obviously-love-Blink-182 cheeky pop. With the focus on a girl who is apparently awful for having a few coloured highlights, this is an interesting look into what was seen as mildly rebellious in the early/mid 2000s. And they all look like teeny, tiny babies in long shorts.

9. The Zutons - Why Won't You Give Me Your Love? (2006)


The Zutons are one of those bands who love to go "oooooooooooooooooooooooooh". I have a soft spot for that sort of thing (yes, I do love the Kaiser Chiefs). For that, the constant inclusion of the saxophone (more saxpop please, world), and the funky-shouty goodness of this song, I loved it (and them).

10. Mika - Relax, Take It Easy (2007)


Did you know Mika has released some French pop? Yeah, it's amazing. I love Mika's proficiency for the most exciting, bombastic pop tunes, but this one is such a perfect deviation from that sound into a slick ballady thing with a volcano beat bassline, This is very "losing yourself" music.


11. Aly & AJ - Like Whoa (2007)


I'm not sure how much of an impact Aly & AJ had in the UK, but I remember coming across them when Potential Breakup Song charted and just completely falling in love with that song. I think I then went on Myspace and binged on other songs and I found a few other absolute gems, including Like Whoa. They felt like a bit of a secret to me as I never heard anyone else talking about them and never saw them mentioned in UK media. They now use the name 78violet, which reminds me of Tommy february6. I quite like username-y names (like, uh, mothcub, maybe).

12. Cascada - Evacuate The Dancefloor (2009)


DUHH DUH DUH EVACUATE THE DANCE FLOOR
DUMM DUM DUM INFECTED BY THE SOUND
This is just a tune, don't fight me on this one. Accept Cascada into your soul.

13. Basshunter


I won't link to a song, because I highly recommend just going on a massive Basshunter binge. Basshunter was just absolutely everywhere all the time near the end of the '00s. It was like some kind of post-apocalyptic bass-hunting dreamland. So just listen to all the Basshunter you can, and be transported to Basshunter's endless world of bass hunting.

6 comments:

  1. Yess! I love Stacie Orrico and Aly and AJ, this is a wonderful idea for a blog post, thoroughly enjoyed reading this :D
    xoxo

    http://beautyinhisname.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Glad you liked it. I have so many Aly & AJ binges ;-)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe these songs are that old! This has brought back some memories haha. Great post :).

    Christie x
    www.christieslifestyle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a shocker isn't it?! Thank you :-)

      Delete
  3. OMG YES TO EVERYTHING ON THIS, ALSO I SAW MIKA LIVE IN LIKE...2008 WHICH WAS WILD BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THAT'S THE KINDA HIP 00'S TEEN I WAS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha excellent. I had a friend who danced onstage with him, and my boyfriend went to see him maybe around that time with his like 60 something dad. I love Mika and am obviously super jealous.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x