Homecoming

Hi. It's me. Today is my twenty-fifth birthday, so I'm feeling aware of time. I keep getting new moles and spots and things and it's weird, it reminds me that the body is always changing. It never stops being weird. You get used to the form your body takes, or at least, I do, and it feels like a long-loved cushion which remembers the shape of my head. But then I look again and its different. And I look out the window and it's different. And I walk around town and shop fronts are different. They moved the statue in the centre of town years ago, but I still feel strange when I see it in its new place.

Last year I wrote about how age is good. I still have those sentiments and take time to be grateful for everything I am, and to celebrate everything I am. Time is opportunity. Time is a basket to throw the things you care most about into. I am scared, like most people, probably, that I'm wasting time. That I'm not being enough, or that in some way I'm not 'me' enough. Like by now I should be more 'me', even though I am always me.


Sometimes I feel like I am every person currently living, all at once. Like I have a thousand feelings and ideas that contradict each other. There is no ultimate self to find. I'm already her. I want to be better and do more and I want to be inventive and passionate in an endless growing loop, but y'know, I'm already in that loop. I'm already me.


The preciousness and delight of experience has uncoiled itself across my life and I wonder if maybe my focus should be less on being and more on doing. Because I think I'm already being. I don't want to perpetuate a perfectionism that tries to hard to catch the butterfly (or moth) of vague and muddy and mysterious and dreamy self! But doing is where I flourish. I have tested my perseverance in creation and exploration and love, and that's what grows like a big, cute, ridiculous sunflower.


I have never really given much attention to celebrating my birthdays, but I'm going to start doing it properly. I'm going to have the most delicious cakes and a night out and a large gin & tonic. I'm going to celebrate myself and my time, because time is worth welcoming properly.


This year there will be excursions and holidays and trips into the forest. I'm going to see notoriously 'interesting' film The Room at the cinema, and director Tommy Wiseau will be there. I'm going to Iceland and Boston (hopefully). I'm going to visit a flying saucer (it's an art installation). And I'm going to be perfect as myself, possibly wearing sequins and carrying lots of fruits in my pockets, aged twenty-five.

15 comments:

  1. This was really beautifully written and I really enjoyed reading it :) Room is an absolutely brilliant film, I saw it last week and cried my little heart out!

    Happy Birthday, and heres to sequins and smiles :) XX

    Whiskey Jars Blog X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I am turning 25 in June. I am happy but It feels odd... I never thought I would Reach this age. Also I understand about moles and spots, I am getting things on my face..I never got as a teen. Now I am like.. what!??! but Oh well, That's Life. Have Fun at the Cinema! - from Texas, Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, hope your birthday time goes great too! :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday honey:) I feel same with you about my age.. We are only 25 so you're not worry about that..
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Lil so much love and confetti from Colombia <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lil - Happy birthday! I really enjoyed reading this post. The thing you'll realize as you get older, I think, is that you're doing everything just the right way. There are no mistakes. And the difference between doing and being is not so great for anyone, but it is especially insignificant in a creative mind. I hope you enjoyed your birthday celebration. Sounds like you have a great year coming up. I've been to Boston, but Iceland sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, I definitely believe in mistakes. But there's no way not to make mistakes, so I guess it's important to accept that everything happens, and just continue. Everything is just stuff happening. Every being is a being doing, and a doing being. Or something.

      Delete
  6. You are quite the artist! Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. "And I'm going to be perfect as myself, possibly wearing sequins and carrying lots of fruits in my pockets. . ." I will cherish the simple beauty of that sentence for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x