Adventure


When I was little I wondered a lot about why I was born and existed in this specific place and time and how weird it was that your consciousness just arbitrarily existed whenever and wherever it was. There's a strange disconnect between people in the past and me, like they aren't really real. And isn't it so weird how Cleopatra (69 - 30 BC) lived closer to the release of the iPhone (2007) than the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza (2560 - 2540 BC)? I mean it's not weird, because it's just true, but...?????

When I was little I also used to wonder if I was an alien because I guess I could never understand anyone else as well as I understood myself. That's still true, but it doesn't mean I'm an alien. It just means I am not inside everyone else's brains. That would be exhausting, probably.


It's so weird and cool how each of our lives is so unique. I mean obviously I share a lot of experiences with people who share the space and time with me, but when I am alone eating gummi frogs or something, no one knows about it, or knows how intently I might be thinking about frogs for a few minutes. I think this is part of why sometimes watching leaves wave about in the breeze is really special - because you know you're the only person in the world who gets to see these particular leaves wave around in this particular way, at this particular time, in this particular light. Even if someone sees the same thing the next day and it looks exactly identical, you still had a unique personal moment with the leaves. That sounds weird. You know what I mean though, right?


I think some of the best parts of being alive are when you can notice and appreciate little things like that. These are the little adventures that connect our lives and worlds, piece by piece, leaf by leaf.


4 comments:

  1. I totally get what you mean... sometimes my mind is blown when I think about how lucky I am to have been born in this timeframe and in the UK and how minuscule the likelihood of it was... I can't think about it too much because it just seems so weird and amazing haha! x

    Polly Cat Contemplates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this little post!! I feel the exact same
    x
    www.thesweetsevenfive.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x