How To Write A Blog Post

Look man, too many people too much of the time try to do things via actual thinking. They stretch their thoughts all over a thing like a sieve and push the thing through trying to filter it into a beautiful fine paste (of words, in the context of a blog post). That's fine. I mean, I'm not here to criticize thoughts as a concept. They're kind of important in general and help you to be interesting and educated by constantly throwing little wonderings into your head about what cats dream about or whether J.Lo has ever watched Antiques Roadshow and gotten really invested in how much someone's old lamp is worth (J.Lo, if you're reading this, let me know).


Thoughts are fine, but they're not always necessary. Right now, I'm typing these words before I've quite consciously understood them. Obviously my subconscious thoughts are still acting because that's how you do stuff, and your brain is quicker than your language for understanding and translating things for your conscious thoughts and for saying words to other people like "puppy". That's a good word. Also "plump" and "sift". Nice. Look out for my upcoming book of cool words in your local book shop soon.


My point is, basically, you don't have to do thoughts to do words (#lifehack). If you read enough of my blog it becomes pretty clear that my thoughts are often in a very different place (right now as I type this sentence I'm thinking about muffins and Dan Howell, for example). I'm a big fan of multitasking and if I can type one thing and think about a completely different thing (Medieval fairy tale fantasy land of me and Dan Howell eating muffins, possibly on unicorns) then it's like having double the time (sort of).

It depends on your writing style and who you are and what you're saying, of course, but I think a lot of people could benefit from trying out a stream of consciousness approach to writing stuff, because even if you write unusable rubbish, it destroys writer's block. Just write stuff. Just write anything. Also eat a muffin, maybe.

2 comments:

  1. There once was a clown named Red Skelton,
    Whose jokes made folks' frowns start meltin'.
    With laughter they'd shake,
    At the funny faces he'd make,
    Till to rubber would turn their skeleton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH for this beautiful poetry! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x