Writing Is Everything

Writing is everything. It's like having a thousand children made of words and sounds and settings and figures of speech. A form of creation that isn't painful, except when you're writing a school essay and you'd rather listen to Liberty X for twelve years straight than write a single 'therefore'. But the thing about writing, or a thing, one of many great things, is that you can do it anywhere. Writing is a souped up version of thinking. You're just thinking through your fingers instead of only in your head. And I love thinking.


I know some people have their requirements with writing. Some have to do it with classical music playing, some have to do it on a designated writing desk, some have to do it at the top of Mt. Fuji whilst balancing a duck in their left hand and humming the French national anthem. Everyone's different. But I can do it anywhere, and I can do it even if someone is simultaneously explaining to me the ins and outs of space shuttle design. So writing happens.

Granted I can essentially draw anywhere too, but writing doesn't have the variation that drawing has. Writing is a completely simplified form. You cannot complicate the physicality of writing. It is the tapping of keys or the movement of a pen. That's it. And it's beautiful. And I can do it anywhere and everywhere, all the time.

2 comments:

  1. 'You're just thinking through your fingers instead of only in your head.'

    I love this post because sometimes I find myself overcomplicating writing but this post has kinda changed my perspective. I'm always writing notes to myself on scrap paper and on my phone and i guess they're all forms of writing (even if they are basic half formed, fleeting thoughts) and that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x