The Egg Look

Louise Pentland (SprinkleofGlitter) & Zoe Sugg (Zoella) as very cute eggs.

This is a blog post about that thing women sometimes do when they put their hair in a ponytail and declare that they look like an egg. Partially prompted by a recent SprinkleofGlitter vlog in which our heroine does this exact thing, and also by my recent YouTube and self-perception thoughts which have some element of comparing myself and my own personal egg look to other people's egg look

I've been a fan of buns and ponytails for a long time, not least because I'm massively inspired by Tove Janssons' Mymbles, and I've become more and more enamoured of the egg look and the rhetoric, because, well, I like eggs and I also like the naked head shape of human people.

Women often seem to declare themselves as eggs in this way as a form of social bashfulness about their appearance not meeting a certain standard, and I get that, but I would like it if the egg thing could be more of a celebration. An appreciation for our own skulls and flesh and comfort via the controlled sectioning of a large amount of hair. Being an unashamed egg could be a very nice and good thing to do. Besides which that to me the egg look is a pleasing aesthetic choice anyway.

Embrace your egg.
"What, you egg?"
- Macbeth: Act 4, Scene 2

8 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x