TV: Scream Queens

I've been watching Scream Queens recently, and from the opening shots of a girl walking through a 1995 sorority party with her hands covered in blood set to Bat for Lashes' 'What's A Girl To Do?' I loved it. This show is crass and ludicrous, but has such good pacing and clever one liners and perfect outfits that it extends its own campiness into something that feels bright and rich. It reminds me of the 2002 Scooby-Doo movie and also a bit of Glee, if it were funnier and spookier and more self aware.

The costuming is great. There are lots of pinks and pastels and silks and fuzzy fabrics. I can see a little chunk of early 2000s fashion influence (this is probably a big part of why it reminds me of Scooby-Doo). I'm reminded of body glitter and clear lip gloss. Ariana Grande slots nicely into it with her high ponytail and go-go boots. She guest stars as one of sorority house president Chanel's underlings. The cartoonish, gory bits of the show work well against a backdrop of cutesy and naive 2000s aesthetic. It's not the kind of show I'd usually watch, but I was really surprised with this and I love it.







11 comments:

  1. I love Arianas feature in this show and the outfits are gorgeous!

    http://shannonmichelle1.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought her character was so perfectly written for her! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've watched the trailer but wasn't sure if I should actually watch the show. After reading your post I think I should watch at least one episode. Is it ok to say it's your fault if I should get addicted to the show?:)
    Norina xx
    http://norinamm.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't mind taking the blame. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. I love this show so much! I only started watching it because of Emma Roberts, but it's so ridiculous that I don't get scared, and those outfits are so girly and amazing :P

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched a few episodes of this, but I think after reading your post I'll have to start from the beginning and catch up with them all.

    Christie x
    www.christieslifestyle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it builds quite nicely, so hopefully you'll get something out of watching from the start.
      :o)

      Delete
  5. Love Emma, Leah, Ariana and Nick's characters in this show. From the makers of Glee and AHS I definatly had high hopes!! xx

    Aimee - AimeeSueXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Scream Queens! the outfits that the girls use are lovely, and the next episode will be the last of the 1st season! :o

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x