Drawing Harry Styles With Pins


I decided to try making pin drawings, since I figured it's probably pretty easy to do - just get a picture and pin through it, right? And I wanted to pick a really famous person as my subject. Someone who I could easily find some good pictures of. So I went for Harry Styles.


I printed off a few different images in different sizes, because I wanted to see if bigger or smaller was easier or better. Above is the result of my test attempt, which used a picture of Katie Price (I looked through a magazine and her picture was the first one I came across at the right size). I lucked out and got the detail pretty decent, although the likeness isn't too good here. The Blu-Tack looks cool like this, though.


This was my first attempt with a Harry picture and the definition just isn't very clear. His mouth was open in this picture, so it was much more difficult to define. I do like the shape of the hair though, and I started to use two different pin sizes, which has a nice effect.


My second attempt was with a larger picture, which I thought might make it easier to get more detail in, but it didn't really make much of a difference, so I think on preference I'd use smaller images. This one was a bit haphazard, but at least does resemble Harry.


This is my final attempt for now, and my favourite of the three. I was a little more careful and slow with this one, and tried to make more delicate pinpricks in the lighter shadows, which helped to give a more defined look. The eyes and mouth are probably the important areas to get right as they carry the recognisability of the whole face.


Now what am I going to do with all these holy Harry Styles pictures?



10 comments:

  1. Wow! I actually quite love your second one! This must take a lot of creativity and patience to do, which I lack in both departments. Such an interesting idea! xx

    www.essibell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some patience, yes, but the smaller pictures are easier and don't take too long.

      Delete
  2. This is so cool - very talented! I looooove Harry <3
    Rachel Coco

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I think I may try it with some of my favorite celebrities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god this is the most, also I am very passionate about blu tack as a tactile medium??? We need more blu tack art?? also re katie price at some point i need to do a painting of that drawing of her dressed as a pony???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Blu-Tack is really fun to work with and just looks cool. I almost prefer the imprints in the Blu-Tack because it's more of an affected object, I mean, because paper is a completely normal thing to use and destroy but Blu-Tack is this endlessly reusable stretchy physical thing. You can squish it back to normal like an Etch-a-Sketch. It FEELS so great to poke holes in. I used to love poking pins into candles (it made them look gross though).

      Delete
  5. I love this and I love Harry! xx

    http://avecvalerie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (from me and presumably also from Harry) :o)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x