5 Favourite Songs | October 2018

I missed doing this last month, but I'm back again for October with five songs from this month that have been my big favourites. I feel like I've been listening to some wistful and big, bittersweet songs recently, but I've also had some really nice recommendations that have a kind of spooky Americana type of sound. Let's talk about my top five songs from October.


1. Rainsford - Rendezvous


This is such a nice gentle, smooth song with these delicate, fun, bird-like vocals and a really nice bassy synth running underneath like a soft, wide, wave. Also to be honest, any song with a lyric about running away with someone gets me (I blame Carly Rae Jepsen for this).

Links: Spotify | YouTube


2. Gavin Turek - My Delight


This is a really funky little song, irresistibly danceable and addictive. Will I listen to it twelve times in a row? Yes I will. I think the album art I've included above should tell you all you need to know.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


3. Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999


This is an incredible force of nature and cheeky homage to '90s childhoods perfectly crafted in a way that I think only the Powerline of girl pop sticking-your-tongue-out incredibly online bangers Charli XCX can really do. The combo of Troye Sivan's soft but similarly perfect pop style with Charli's is a dream. And the music video for this is just so cute.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


4. Swimming Girls - 2 Kids


I discovered this band after hearing that they supported Fickle Friends recently in Bristol (they're Bristol locals), and it's no surprise that a band supporting Fickle Friends rules. I love the sweeping, movie feel of this song. Like you're being swept away, maybe into a swimming pool.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


5. Nick Waterhouse - Sleeping Pills


Someone linked me this song in response to a video I made about dreams, and I am so glad they did, because it is amazing. It has this dark, Doors-y sort of sound, and I highly recommend Nick Waterhouse's entire album that this song is on, Holly. It's so good.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


So it's been pretty synth pop infused and dreamy as usual this month, but I have been listening to Will Joseph Cook's beautiful album Sweet Dreamer a lot again, as well as some really great stuff by Public Service Broadcasting, who incorporate recordings from archive footage to create these really dense and fascinating pieces of music filled with documentary soundbites about miners and stuff. On top of that, I've been listening to Rick Astley's glorious 1987 album Whenever You Need Somebody quite a bit, and it is the best. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x