New Journal + Tissue Paper + Spooky Cat


I'm getting really close to having filled up a journal now, and I'm excited about it. I love closing a finished journal, seeing all the pages have become crinkled and warped and made the journal fan out in defiance of its binding. A changed object, bursting with all of its mess and chaos.


I also found some tissue paper and painted on that, and I love the texture of it. It's so light that it's really easy to accidentally send it across the room, and that's annoying but also quite fun. Just the constant threat of creating a gust of wind that sends your painting tumbling away. I feel like it keeps me on my toes, when a painting can just escape at any time thanks to the laws of physics.


When I finish a journal I sort of feel like I could hurl from a speeding train and change my name, maybe move abroad and buy a cow. You know, it's a beautiful time of change. A transition. From an old journal with all these things you've done in the past however long, to a new journal where you're going to do the same things more or less, but it's going to feel imbued with all the context of a different time period. It's a different world. A new frontier. But one where you will continue to paint little bunnies staring into the distance and surrounded by hearts and flowers and things. Because everything changes but there's a fundamental repetition. Because you're growing, but from the same seed, new roots poking through.


And the shiny new journal is about to get destroyed. By which I mean I'll probably get some pasta sauce on the front cover sooner than I think. Because I'm constantly surprising myself, and life is a gift in that regard. In the regard of pasta.


But this is fine. I really do like the texture of the tissue paper though. It's good. This strange and almost spooky-creepy cat painting is my new Spotify icon, and it makes me smile:


Look at its face! That's a good face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x