DRAWING IS FUN


Drawing is fun, or at least, it should be. That should be the main goal, I think. The only way to draw is to just draw. I was talking about this the other day and I have these conversations every so often about how people don't draw, about how people wish they could draw. Hey, everyone, you can draw. Maybe you can't draw a recognisable picture of Drew Barrymore skateboarding across a row of London buses, but you can press a pencil down on a piece of paper and move it around, and that's drawing.

I still draw stick figures a lot, because I think they're great. Maybe I'll write a blog post about stick figures sometime soon.


Today I drew some casual stuff on sketch.io because YOU KNOW WHAT? DRAWING STUFF ONLINE IS THE FUTURE AND THE FUTURE IS NOW. I love it. I love computers a lot and I love drawing on 'em. Also all of these are drawings of my inner spirit, because I decided so just now, so enjoy that.


Honestly though, I love drawing on computers and drawing online because it means you have to be not as good. Well, it doesn't mean that if you're a digital artist, and to be fair I do work with vector drawings, but it's precise work for me, so usually when I draw on a computer (or my phone) it means I have to be rough and fast and silly (or more so than usual). That's pretty important, though. It helps me to just chill out and draw stuff and enjoy it. I like to try different digital drawing tools to challenge myself, because if I can have fun and draw something I like with the stuff that's hardest for me to use, then I'll be better and have a better perspective on drawing in other ways and with other tools.


7 comments:

  1. I love this so much and I love your cute little sketches! I've been going through a 6 month drawing rut, I'm just a massive perfectionist, don't know where to start again and did I mention being a perfectionist so I'm never happy with anything I do so I just rip it out and forget about it. You've reminded me that drawing is about having fun and if I can't do that, what can I do :)

    Katie
    www.katiehodgkinson.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope you can go easy on yourself and have fun. Imperfect, unfinished, messy stuff is the greatest! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love these drawings. Ever thought of making a childrens book for grown-ups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these drawings. Ever thought of making a childrens book for grown-ups?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a perfectionist. However, I've found out that my Mom & others love my "castoffs!" I cut out my "messed up" sketches & make them into greeting cards. People really like them AND you're letting these people know that they're being thought of. Just an idea. I adore your little sketches & they would make fantastic cards for wee ones AND older ones!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Grandma Nancy from central IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I think that's a great idea! :-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x