Knife EP (& Musical Influences)


On 5th April I made a new 4-track EP available (you can get it here), and shooting the cover art was a blast, so I thought I'd upload some of the extra pictures. There's something very satisfying about putting a butter knife in a big blob of glitter paint - or is that just me?


As for the music, I've remembered how much I love experimental things and weird things and synthesizers. Beautiful, wonderful, creepy, full, symphonic synth sounds. I love synths so much. I love the way they allow me to make and arrange music without having to first deal with how to move my small hands the right way around an instrument. I love guitars too, but synths feel like home.


I was up late one night recently, and I remembered, all of a sudden, that Schnell Fenster existed. A sort of spin off from one of my favourite bands ever, Split Enz, Schnell Fenster are also super 'wacky' and silly and wonderful in their own way. It got me thinking and remembering that there are so many odd and wonderful bands I love so much. I was just sitting in bed being super glad that bands like Schnell Fenster and Masakosan and Picky Picnic exist. And I was so happy that whilst reviewing my EP I could hear some of that influence.


In closing, here is a list of some synth-focused and/or experimental and/or odd bands I love a lot:
P-Model, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Einstürzende Neubauten, Thomas Dolby, Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Scritti Politti, Fad Gadget, John Maus, Pet Shop Boys, Talk Talk, The Pop Group.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x