Space Paintings & Abstract Art


I've been doing lots of pure and splatter-y brushstroke paintings. They're big paintings (well, A3 is big to me), but I decided to chop some of them up into little galaxy pieces for arrangement into some kind of polyptych (and I just learned that word in the process of writing this - I though "like a diptych, but lots" and apparently that is a thing).


I always feel a little reluctant to use the term "abstract" because that word feels like one of those weird academic words that acts as permission for any reader's brain to do the brain equivalent of that bit from The Simpsons where Homer sinks back into the hedge. Abstract really just means "it ain't really a thing, it's just some shapes or whatever" but I guess that's kinda long-winded. I just wanted to say that I do this stuff because I love all the shapes and all that. The beautiful shapes and colours and textures and making a big gloopy mess for no reason. That's why I feel so myself and so good making abstract art.


This is probably a good time to mention that my favourite video game enemy of all time is called abstract art. Yes, you can beat up a painting. I love video games.


If you need me, I'll be buried in a pile of abstract art. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x