5 Favourite Songs | January 2018

I love music a lot and like to discover as much music as I possibly can on a regular basis, so I thought it would be fun to pick out five favourite songs that I've been listening to during the last month and talk a little bit about each song and why I rate it so highly. So strap yourselves into the music ride and let's go.


1. JONGHYUN - 빛이 나 (Shinin')


Of course, I had to include this song. His first single released posthumously, 빛이 나 (Shinin') is an upbeat track with some great hooks, a colourful music video featuring a disco ball and some cassette tapes, and a touching as well as catchy promise to "always be with you". I really love this song, and it makes me so happy to have something like this - it's comforting to see him again.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


2. AKKOGORILLA - GREEN QUEEN x PARKGOLF


Infectious joyful rap here. I was sucked into this one because the line delivery is just so much fun and this song has such a great sense of unabashed fun and almost playful brattiness. Put this on at a party.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


3. Aly & AJ - I Know


Aly & AJ have new songs, and they are amazing. I Know, their second single from a new EP, marking a switch back to their original name after briefly calling themselves 78violet, is a smooth and rhythmic synth-y affair with dreamy vocals opining on how much they're gonna take care of you and make everything fine. It's great to see these girls come back and show just how great they can sound. Like a curtain caught in the breeze and a really tasty tiramisu. That's the kind of images the song put in my head. I mean, I know I visualise desserts often, but believe me, it made me think of creamy and rich desserts. It makes sense, I promise.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


4. The Modern Strangers - Coco Hello


This is an incredibly dance-able song which had itself fully lodged in the musical roundabout inside my brain on first listen. So incredibly funky. There are hand claps.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


5. Troye Sivan - My My My!


If you're familiar with my music tastes, you'll know I'm an absolute sucker for an undulating, bassy rhythmic synth (see one of my favourite 2017 single releases - TAEMIN's MOVE - 그대로 repeat indeed). This song provides that in spades, as well as an exhilarating chorus that sounds like Troye is calling out to the heavens with passion. It's the best, and very much helped by an Anton Corbijn style video shot in mostly black and white.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


That concludes my round-up, but what songs will I be listening to next month, and will they be as heavily synth-focused as this lot? We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing your favourites!
    With love from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And by the way, I wanted to ask if you have any recommendations for stuff to see/visit in Bavaria. I'm just back in England from Berlin, but I'd really love to visit Bavaria at some point. I don't know much yet aside from that I love Bavarian food, so any tips you could give me would be super interesting!
      Vielen Dank!

      Lilly :-)

      Delete
  2. OMG, I totally forgot about Aly and Aj. It has been years since I listened to them.
    Youtube: https://goo.gl/C5MYWu
    Blog: http://www.easys-tyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got pretty obsessed with them back in 2007 and I kept thinking about them quite a bit periodically so I have been ready for them to make a proper comeback for YEARS and I am LIVING for them.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x