'Peter Draws' is Amazing

I love trawling YouTube for new people to watch. I feel like there is always something to be found just around the corner that will resonate with me and draw me into its world on an intimate level that is unparalleled anywhere else online. So I keep looking for hidden gems and people from nearby and far away who make or say or show something that clicks into place in my head like the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and I keep finding that feeling again and again.


One such perfectly fitting piece is Peter Draws. I was sitting down to eat bread and hummus for lunch after finishing editing and uploading a vlog recently, and I scrolled through my YouTube subscriptions and saw this:


Something about those inviting eyebrows lured me in. I had to click. And I'm glad I did. Everything Peter posts is unpredictable. There are set things you can expect - conventions, if you like. He'll draw, as his channel name suggests. There'll be some kind of introspection or poem, usually something that feels like an annotation like those I'd write in my school and college art journals. Maybe there'll be some kind of domestic shots. Something normal. But Peter Draws is so far away from normal. He's remarkable. Watching his videos are like entering a new world. One where marker pens threaten to encroach upon every possible space. I almost feel as if the lines of his drawings could start climbing out of the videos and winding around my screen and arms and entire life.


There is such a wonderful strangeness to Peter's videos, and such a calm intimacy. I was sitting there idly wondering what else I could do that day that was creative, what I could write about, etc, when this video fell into my lap and I knew I had to write a post about him. When I watch his videos I feel like I'm at the end of a string of fate endlessly climbing and unfurling. There is no uncertainty or wondering, just a new self-assurance that I will simply do something, whether it's my own spindly, expanding drawing, or just some small note or shape. My creativity is swirling and endless, just like Peter and his draws.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x