Hair Goals

Hair. Hair hair hair. My nemesis. I have to stop thinking of it that way. I definitely give too much thought to my hair (I treat it the same way you might treat an irritating younger brother - with disdain and plentiful eye rolling). I'm hoping to engineer a bit of a change in attitude to my hair, so let's talk about some goals I have regarding it.

Me during a brief bout of pink hair. That makes it sound like a disease. It's not a disease, it's hair dye ('Crazy Color - Fire' directly on dark blonde if you're curious).

The Hair Goals


I'm looking forward to seeing my hair get longer again. I have a tendency to reach a certain length and become sick of its limpness, but when I look back it never seems so bad. I'm a big fan of the ponytail, and having an all one length situation, so I think I should learn to appreciate the limp, straight look more. I mean, it looks fine on all those people in 1960s photographs, so why not me?

I'm definitely hyper-critical of my hair at times, and I need to focus on sticking to a few styles and tricks for variation and then just chilling out about the whole thing. Your hair just can't look good all the time, and that's okay. I recently found a nice little video about some cute hairstyles (Three Brigitte Bardot Hairstyles by Loepsie) and I want to try committing something like this to a small repertoire of hair awareness whilst maintaining a generally clean/neat hair level. That's the goal. A simple one that hopefully any fool, such as me, can achieve.

Most of all though, my goal is to fully realise that brushing my hair is the best thing for it. I see nice, tousled hairstyles and I think I can be cool by allowing my hair to be a big, unbrushed mess, but whilst that can sometimes work, it's good to remember that my hair generally just wants to be relatively flat - and flat, straight hair existing on my head looks so much neater and nicer when it's brushed. I don't know why I fear and avoid the hairbrush, but I need to conquer that and just brush my hair.


Cool Things


One part of improving my approach to hair has to be appreciating hair-related things more, so I'm going to detail some hair things I've been enjoying lately.

I've been wearing elasticated headbands recently to hold back hair as my fringe grows out, and I really like them. They're very comfortable and weirdly seem to actually look quite good, even though my entire forehead is out there declaring my chicken pox scar to the world. There's a neatness to it that just seems to improve my look, especially with the rest of my hair being allowed to flow freely. I really want to get some elasticated headbands with bows on them for added cuteness (examples below).


Another thing I'm really appreciating is the good old bobby pin (or kirby grip as we tend to say in the UK for reasons I am not privy to - although I've taken to calling them bobby pins because I like that name). It's a complete basic, but there are so many uses for one. I never seem to lose them either, so that's nice. Despite being a blonde person, I don't have any blonde ones, but I think the brown ones actually might be a better fit for my (dark blonde - I once heard it called 'the colour of dishwater' which is very flattering and will make me laugh forever) hair colour anyway.

I also sometimes feel very pleased and delighted to use a nice hair clip with a good proper hinge to it. It just feels really satisfying to open them and slide them into my hair, and I have some with Hello Kitty's face on them. Yes, my life is deeply exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x