Paintings: Rust & Streetlights


I love the fuzzy, blurry look you can get by loading a paintbrush full of water and paint, and there's something very cathartic about having a big blob of paint on your paintbrush. Whenever I paint I usually paint multiple things in a session, and towards the end I get much more loose and gestural and end up making more wobbly/messy/thick/careless paintings, and a lot of the time I love these the most. I like the character of them compared with neater lines, they're representative of fun and sleepiness alike.


I used some red and yellow this time, and I love the rusty red colour I got. It reminds me of Mars. Or blood. There's a life to it. I guess every colour has some kind of image it conjures up, or some idea in our minds that it's connected to. I feel like colours all have so many stories hiding inside them based on how we see them culturally or psychologically, and it only makes me love them more.


Here's an earthy dog. I love him. I really like when colours remind me of some element of nature. The earth, brightly coloured flowers, or the deep and dark tints to the sky as night rolls in. I love the earthy, rusty red here, and the bright yellow used with it kinda reminds me of streetlights at night. That ominous yellow glow.


There's something about bus stops at night that I like. They look so perfect, surrounded by circles of yellow light. A place that exists just as a place to wait. Streetlights, bus stops, and spring blossoms in the evening.


This painting of the moon, stars, and bunny came out really nicely. This has to be one of my favourite paintings from recently. I like the white space in the ears and the points of the stars, and the yellow mixing into black in some of the lines. There's the perfect amount of smooth shape to rough line here for me. The entire bunny's head is really satisfying to look at.


I love painting so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x