Super Weekend Mode: An Indie Game Review

Hello! I thought I'd do a little review of PIXELTERIYAKI's cool little arcade game, Super Weekend Mode. Something I'd really like to explore more is the world of indie games, especially as itch.io now makes it so easy and fun to find a variety of cool and varied indie games. So let's start with this one, a heart-collecting shoot 'em up!


What you have to do is manoeuvre two little spaceship pad thingies simultaneously in order to catch the falling hearts. You also have to shoot a boss, avoid skulls, and make sure any falling dust bunnies don't reach the ground. That's quite a few things to deal with at once, and I found tapping the z and m buttons to move my spaceships at the same time as shooting a bit like trying to pat my head and rub my tummy. I think you can get the hang of it after a while, but it was daunting at first for me (mind you, I'm not the best when it comes to video game hand-eye coordination). I wonder how the game would feel to play on twin joysticks instead - I think that would be pretty cool.


I really like the music and graphics here. Everything looks neat and distinct, and the animations are pretty and bold. I love the pixel style overall, but in particular the skulls and the little bird that sits on the side of the screen make me happy.


Super Weekend Mode is lovingly crafted and has 7 stages to get through, and I'm pretty bad at it, but it's really cute and fun. Please go and beat my incredibly low high score!


Check out Super Weekend Mode on itch.io for free, or a donation of your choice, and you can follow developer @pixelteriyaki on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun throwback to the kind of games I used to play for hours as a kid. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latest skidrow,p2p, indie game release. Easy
    torrent download, no virus https://ngedo
    wnloadgame.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x