Journal: HEY DON'T IGNORE ME


It's really been a while since I did stuff in my journal like this. I've been focusing on making paintings and drawings lately, mostly on paper rather than in a journal. I thought it would be cool and good to lie down on my bed and watch TV and do some thick, scribbly pencil stuff in my journal in particular for a while. I love all the scratchy, reflective lines. They're a bit ghostly in a way, and I like the sound a pencil makes.


I also have a bunch of pens in odd colours that I don't quite know what to do with, so it makes sense to journal with them and experiment a bit with my more neglected materials and some weird and unusual shapes and stuff.


One thing I definitely avoid a lot in journals is painting, just because I know I'm going to have to make sure the pages will stay open when drying, and then I can't carry on to the next page for a while. It's sheer impatience, but when I do paint in my journal I remember that it's really fun to make painted spreads, so I should probably do it more.


One of the best things about journaling is the way you get to look at a collection of things later. It's good to be able to see things inextricably linked to other things. Elements mingling and intruding on each other. It creates a good opportunity to look at things differently and you can press all your drawings together to make a cute little monster, maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x