5 Favourite Songs | May 2018

This month has been a month of indulgent, darkened pop, and cathartic lone party anthems, primarily. Whatever that means. Well, join me, and perhaps find out what the hell I'm talking about.


1. Little Boots - Picture (ft. Lauren Flax)


This is a very nice combination of brooding, but also light and a bit floaty. Little Boots has come back with some really lovely, delicate new songs this month, and this one is a big favourite. Such nice pieces of repetition and echo. There's some noises that sound like mystical electronic ripples. It's so good. Something about this song makes me feel like I'm inside a hall of mirrors, and I love that feeling.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


2. Eleni Foureira - Fuego


Yes, of course I had to include the Eurovision song that will never leave my brain. It'll be there for the rest of my life. Not for one second will I be free. I accept this. It's a great song if you want to shout things down a high street at 3am after the pub has thrown you out, probably. Just ostentatious enough, and just dance-y enough. It has certainly got me... pelican fly fly flying. Yep.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


3. Betty Who - Make You Memories


What, an incredible synth pop banger? On my playlist? I know, a real shocker. I just love so much about this. It's such a great let go/feel good song. You could shed your whole identity to this song. Change your name and your hair to this song. I love small pieces of enunciation in here, like when she sings "we both know" - yeah, we do both know, that your voice is soft serve ice cream delightful. The image above is actually from 'Ignore Me', however, as there's sadly no video for 'Make You Memories'.

Links: YouTubeSpotify


4. Anteros - Drunk


This is such a bombastic song, and finally a dip into the rock pool. That sounded like I meant 'place where crabs live', but ok, anyway, the song itself feels like it could be drunk. It kinda lilts and stumbles, it's a little hazy, it's tentatively blissful but overall rough, and drives onwards with force and some nice, aggressive guitars.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


5. Hozier - Jackie And Wilson


Sort of in the vein of David Bowie's 'Kooks', this is such a gentle, happy go lucky love and life song with a nice bit of rock 'n' roll kick to it. Something uplifting and familial and great. A pure delight for drinking Pimms in the garden to. Such a nice song.

Links: YouTube | Spotify


Yet again I have been listening to a lot of sort of party-friendly, cautiously brooding songs, and songs to listen to whilst walking through a field and looking lovingly at cows. That's a genre, please agree. Bonus mentions go to: "Crush" by David Archuleta, "Valentine (What's It Gonna Be)" by Rina Sawayama, and "Heart to Break" by Kim Petras.

2 comments:

  1. omg i havent listened to little boots in YEARS! i almost even forgot about her, ill def have to check this song out. thank u for reminding me <3

    afuckinglook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is astonishing. I remember being incredibly into her first album, but this stuff is so dreamy and somehow mature. It's so great.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x