Painting Without Looking


I thought I'd do some painting exercises with varying degrees of CHAOS here and try painting some stuff whilst not looking at it. It's really interesting to see what kind of forms your muscle memory can let you draw or paint when your eyes aren't leading. All of these paintings were made in slightly different conditions though. The bunny above was made by resting the paper on my tummy (whilst standing up) and painting there. This meant I could see relatively well, but had some distortion in terms of perspective. This one is probably my favourite, in terms of the result and also how fun it was to make.


This second one was painted with the paper held directly in front of my face. I painted on the side facing away from me. Functionally, this meant I could see what I was doing quite well, but it still had the challenge of being a sort of backwards painting.


This last one was painted on a piece of paper held above my head, so I really couldn't see what I was doing here and it shows. I did add the hat and face in at the end though. Stylish chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x