Virginia Braithwaite: Messy Icon

In the early '00s, we had some oddly good TV drama going around, and my favourite thing was At Home with the Braithwaites - an over the top series about a Leeds family who win the lottery. The humour and constant whirling shocks and cliffhangers made for a great watch, but my favourite element was Virginia. The messy, jittery lesbian daughter who works as a mechanic and almost always looks either shell-shocked or disgusted. I love her.


She's a ball of nerves, she wears a cool biker jacket, and somehow she has the perfect hair for her nervous energy. It's fun watching shows from this era now and seeing the kind of rough edge and casual feel to the outfits everyone's wearing, but Virginia's looks are my big favourites. She looks effortless and wound up simultaneously, somehow.


This disjointed, tangled mess of a show is always in the back of my mind, alongside stuff like Bad Girls and Fat Friends, I love remembering the best TV series of this era, and Virginia will always be a weird icon to me. We were blessed.


1 comment:

  1. VIRGINIA BRAITHWAITE THIS WAS A GREAT TV SHOW I LIKE IT WHEN IT WAS ON TV HERE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x