SHINee ☆ The Story of Light | Album Review & Thoughts ✧*・゚

I thought I'd write a new post about SHINee since I've been easing back into following their activities lately. Their sixth Korean album, The Story of Light, came out in three parts across May and June, but I've only just gotten around to listening to the whole thing. It still feels a bit overwhelming at times to focus on them, which is why it's taken me a little while to hear it. I did hear the promotional singles more or less as they came out though, and I really liked their sound, as well as the lush visual style they went with for the music videos and styling.


One thing I like a lot about The Story of Light is the combination of these very smooth, night life sort of sounds, with a lot of twinkling little moments, ballad-like tenderness, and very dance-y beats. It's a really interesting soundscape that to me feels a lot like the particular kind of dim, late night contentedness that I feel when I'm out after dark walking under streetlights while buses drive past and shop lights cast colourful glow onto the street. It's a particular feeling and it has a certain kind of comfort and release to it as you go along the tracklist.

Cover of The Story of Light EP.1

My favourite song on first listen is Retro. This stands out somehow, not least thanks to Key's intro ("I don’t know what it is but / This girl got me feeling all emotional / Let me tell you real quick"), the extended rap parts given to Minho (it's so nice to hear a little more of him on a track, and it suits the song so nicely), and the gentle jazzy guitar, and I love the "같은 Emotional motional mo motional" part that linguistically dances a quick tongue twister step with itself.

Cover of The Story of Light EP.2

There's a really lovely lounge-esque element throughout this album that gives it such a relaxing feel. It's everything I want. From the soft piano on I Say to the bouncy, almost Puzzle Bobble-like percussion of I Want You, The Story of Light feels so full of love and care. It's my pillow, my nightlight, my window as rain pours down. I love it.

And by the way, I also really like the geometric, fox-focused album art. One part Bauhaus, one part wildlife. A very cute, vibrant design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x