Nightlight

I love coming home early. I love being anywhere and realising I can go home whenever I want. I just love going home. It's one of my passions. I love walking through the streets as the last piece of sun recedes into the horizon like my entire being recedes into a pillow when I go to bed. It's good.

Drawing of a girl standing underneath stars.

I have a moon-shaped solar light on my windowsill right now. It's like having a night light - it comes on when it gets dark, and casts a small, dim glowing light across the room. It's actually really calming, and I think it makes me feel a little more serene when I go to sleep. It feels odd to be in a room that still has some light, but there's something a bit magical about it. It's oddly comforting.

There are a lot of things to do or think about all the time, but I guess receding or dim or fluctuating light reminds me that there's a transience, and simultaneously a reliability, to so much. I think I'm a person who loves night time and sunset more than anything else. There's a calm to it that seems to seep into me. I don't get that with the daylight so much. Night is that place with beautiful, strange, ethereal glow, and twinkling, buzzing, fading lights. I love flying over a city and night and seeing the network of lights, almost echoing the constellations. It makes humanity seem pretty, all collected and connected and in slumber.

Landscape shot of a night sky horizon, almost at twilight with far off home lights.

One beautiful, sleepy thing.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x