5 Favourite Songs | August 2018

August has come and gone, and I've been listening to a weird range of stuff. A bunch of new releases, old '50s favourites (mainly my man Neil Sedaka), a mysterious find or two, and a bit of grime. Here are the five best.


1. Jade Bird - Uh Huh


This is one of those songs that hits you full force in the face and you fall over and you're like, "ok wow". It's so good. A big, angry guitar song. Uh huhhhhhhhhhh.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


2. Ed The Dog - Television Era 


I found this through a Spotify advert and it took me less than a second to fall in love with this band and their whole Bis/Blue style thing. This song signals pretty well what they're all about. There's a level of playful clever-silliness full of callbacks to '90s and '00s cultural memories with lines like, "there's plenty of Simpsons to watch all the way from season 1". And just, what a great song. A bouncy, nervy, cute song.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


3. Phum Viphurit - Long Gone


This is a song I just discovered, and it's so dreamy and sweet. A nice gentle soothing guitar time. The music video is also super relaxing and features some good dungarees, which as we all know are scientifically proven to be relaxing and cool.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


4. Gabbie Hanna - Honestly


This is the major pop hit of this list, a song made by [shocked gasps] a YouTube person. It's an expertly compelling song of sheer righteous anger, and for that I love it. It builds so nicely into a great chorus of rage, and it will be incredibly stuck in my head for a while.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


5. Dara Sedaka - Huggin'


Finally, a gem I discovered after entering the unique haze that comes from listening exclusively to Neil Sedaka songs for days. I found the equally brilliant but very different stuff recorded by his daughter, Dara. This is the funky, saxophone-infused opener from her exceptional 1982 album, 'I'm Your Girl Friend'. This rocks.

Links: Spotify | YouTube


So that's what's up for August, a fun little selection, some smooth and cute songs for doing awkward yet adorable kitchen dancing, and some angry stuff to exert all your mean-spirited energy to. Special mentions go to Sinner by Deaf Havana, Stumblin' Home by Smallpools & The Aces, and Mitski, just in general.

2 comments:

  1. I adore your monthly songs. I've found some gems thanks to you! Jade Bird - Uh Huh will definetly be on my playlist, she has just the perfect grade of angry screaming and vocals. Deaf Havana is a band I'll be listening more to, I like the style of their music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you're finding some stuff you like. Jade Bird is amazing, you're right about that screaming.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x