H2O: Just Add Water | The Mermaid Teen Drama I Never Knew I Needed

I would like to draw your attention to an Australian teen drama about some girls who somehow become imbued with strange magic after being briefly stranded on an island, and henceforth are unable to touch water without transforming into mermaids. It's called H2O: Just Add Water, and it is glorious.


It was floating around in my Netflix recommendations, for reasons I do not know, and I thought to myself: yes, okay, mermaids. I'm not sure what I was expecting, or which stars were aligned on that day, but it is now my favourite thing. First of all, it's really well paced and compelling. Much more than I'd expect from a show clearly aimed at twelve year old girls, and yes some of the plotting and dialogue is shamelessly cheesy, but it's pretty well written and incredibly well filmed. The shots are really quite beautiful, and the three main characters are enjoyably acted.


Check out this snazzy title screen. The number two has a mermaid tail. Glorious.


Of course, my favourite of the three sometimes-mermaid girls is the grumpy, almost-a-tomboy one, pictured above making her signature face of disdain. I love her and the judgement she casts upon the world.


This is my favourite show now. Also, not only do they have inconvenient mermaid transformations, but they've got magic powers too, each pertaining to a different element. This is the best show ever. Please watch it.

2 comments:

  1. I actually saw this show a while back. It was airing on our national TV channel. I don't usually watch TV shoes but I love mermaids so I ended up watching most of the first season. It's a pretty cool show, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x