Making Watery & Fast Paintings


I've been painting just about every day recently, so I end up with a lot of bits and pieces to put in different places. These paintings are from a few different painting sessions and have ended up coming together, gathering in my pictures folder like dust bunnies, so it made sense to post them as a collection.


For some reason I really miss drawing comic panels all of a sudden. It's just the format - there's something satisfying about putting things in boxes sometimes. It's as if I completely forgot for a while that I could draw a rectangle, and now my brain is like, "YEAH!!! RECTANGLES!!!!!!"


I've also really enjoyed using very watery, drippy paint lately. I like the way it gets all light and blobby and muddy. Like me waking up in the morning.


Using watery paint is a tense game of timing. You gotta get your shape out quickly, before it sinks in, bleeds, or blobs out. It's a bit risky, but when the results are good it's worth it.


I always feel like doing a really fast painting is really interesting and expresses some kind of animalistic part of me, or at least showcases how the way I draw is embedded in my muscle memory. I tend to like painting something more considered as well as making time to paint really loose and fast. Both inform the other, and both are fun in different ways.


This bunny looks so sad. I'm sorry, bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x