Let's Play Bomberman Tournament: Meteors & Bunnies


I thought I would have a relaxing time and play some Game Boy Advance goodness, so I selected Bomberman Tournament to play. One thing I like about Bomberman is that he looks a bit like a moogle. Or a cross between a Power Ranger and a moogle, which might be better. This game has a bit of an RPG spin to it, with some odd pseudo Pokémon battles that play out in a semi-predetermined way after you select some commands at the start of battle. It feels a bit pointless, but it's still better than the Final Fantasy XIII battle system (I'm sorry, low hanging fruit and all that).


The game starts out with some meteors hitting the planet, and a doctor telling you to go off and speak to a guy about some bombs and animals or something, and you find yourself in a small town near a forest. People immediately ask you to run errands when you see them, which is a bit rude, but whatever.


I really like the art style going on in this game. Everything is nicely rounded, cute, and plump, qualities that I also expect to find in a cat. There are some discordant scenes drawn in a more angular style, but for the most part everything feels nice and coherent.


Soon you're heading into the local forest to find a ring and photograph an animal after some guy throws his camera into your hands. He's a photographer, but I guess he'll get any random stranger to take his photos for him, unless Bomberlad is also known for his photography skills. Maybe he has a photography zine I can purchase, featuring lots of very artistic shots of various bombs in pretty shafts of light. Does he have a Tumblr portfolio? Am I developing this reality in my head far too much? Perhaps.


I'm also laughing at this screen where a girl named Honey asks him his name, because it made me imagine that he's just a very normal middle-aged man trying to pretend he's cool and mysterious, and that 'Bomberman' is just a really obvious fake name. I bet it's all a lie and his name is actually Steve.


So you find your way through the forest, dealing with some very weird and wobbly plant life, and you eventually find a massive green bunny. This is the animal the photographer wanted you to snap, and happily the bunny loves posing, so you take a beautiful picture of it. It's at this point that I realise this game is excellent. Also the bunny is me.


Good game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x