Amnesia Doesn't Work Like That


What would it be like to have nothing but your body? What if everything you owned was gone somehow? Not in a fire or anything traumatic but just disappeared. Vanished. Not that couldn't be traumatic, I mean, but just hypothetically let's assume it's not. And that everything vanishes, and you're fine, but everything's gone. Your belongings, your home, maybe your clothes, maybe your memory too. Who would you be then?


It's something I like to fantasise about sometimes. I guess it's appealing because it's like wiping the slate clean, the idea of getting to be some fresh, newly installed you. Not that I would really want this to happen, but it's just a compelling thought that catches at the front of my mind sometimes.

What if I had to meet everyone I knew again? What if I had to meet myself again, or piece myself together through other people's worn memories? What would be the first item of clothing I'd buy if I didn't have any and didn't remember having any? Who would I become if I started from now?


These are just questions that never end. A spiral staircase of an idea, descending forever. And I guess that's why I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x