The Freckle Hourglass

I have this freckle formation on my arm that I think of as like an hourglass. I don't know how long each freckle has existed there, and I don't notice it a lot so I often forget it's there at all, but something about it makes me smile. It's as if there's a secret shape there, a symbol.


I used to think about getting a little tattoo somewhere, but I think I'm too indecisive (and to be honest I don't extremely love the idea of a needle doing... that... to me). Also I guess so many little body things exist that are so unique and interesting that I just sort of feel like there's no reason to add something else. I like tattoos, but on me I almost feel like it would be too much. There are so many things already! Although I bet it would be fun to get a matching tattoo with someone.


But I don't know, I just love those tiny little body things that are easy to forget about. It's so funny to me how easy it is to forget things about your own body or appearance. It's nice to notice those little things. Even the spots appearing and fading are sort of mesmerising to me. I feel like if I say I like 'em anyone reading is gonna roll their eyes, but really, there's something about acne and faded out red pigmentation that I find charming in its own way. I mean, I'm not a fan of having spots, but there's something about the ebb and flow of them that I like. And it's texture and pigmentation and scarring and lines on other people that I genuinely like and find pleasing to look at. I swear it makes sense.


The directions your veins go, the fact that everyone's vein patterning is so different. I love that. And the colours, of course, the blue fading into purple, looking sort of fogged over by the skin. It's just something fun to think about. To just be there in a body and to look at things about it and be like, "oh yeah, that's there." I think it's nice. I think it's one of the nice inconsequential sort of things about being alive.


What weird little pulsating systems we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x