Why is Addams Family Values So Great?

When Addams Family Values is on, the world is different. Everything is right. It's one of those movies that just kinda seeps into me and seems to represent everything I like and care about at once in some spooky, sarcastic, silly, and sentimental way. Stripes, and goofy stuff, only the most mirthful romance, and Carol Kane grinning. All of my favourite things, all of the time.


I love the Gomez and Morticia dynamic and the way the movie mirrors this somewhat with Wednesday and the boy she meets at camp (especially at the end when he turns up with a drawn on Gomez-style moustache). Most things even resembling child romance plots make me feel a bit weird for various reasons, but growing up I always liked the whole thing they had here. The way Wednesday is extremely stoic about it despite clearly reciprocating, the way they speak with a child's version of the over the top drama and intensity of Wednesday's parents, and also just the level of awe and camaraderie shown that actually feels real in a way that I think is pretty hard to get right. I always watched those scenes and felt somehow understood in a particular way.


I also love Debbie so much. She's a great villain and of course Joan Cusack is amazing and I seem to always find her performances really affecting. I always remember the scene in School of Rock where she talks about how much she loves Stevie Nicks. For some reason it just really stuck with me. And in this movie she gets to be this incredible powder pink murderer, perfectly smug and powerful and fabulous, but with the just the right ridiculousness as well. I really would love to dress up as her and get one of her outfits perfectly matched. The dream.


It's just such a great move. It's the greatest. I just watched it, but I want to watch it again already. Please bring snacks to my house and watch it with me immediately. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x