Dragonwyck


I watched a spooky 1946 movie starring Vincent Price and Gene Tierney recently, and it's my new favourite thing. It's called Dragonwyck, and I found it by chance. I seem to find a lot of movies that I watch on YouTube on a whim that end up being some of my favourite movies ever. This happened with Angel's Egg, and April Bride - two of the greatest movies I've ever seen. And it's the same with this one.


I love anything that has elements of classic gothic horror, and this has some really beautifully acted spooky stuff and so many brilliantly dramatic lines. It's very quotable, I think, even if you just repeat Miranda's hopeless expression of admiration, "golly Moses!"


The look of the film is so beautifully constructed and develops the unease very well, with external shots of Dragonwyck itself reminding me of the Mickey Mouse short 'The Mad Doctor' from thirteen years prior. A pointy, stormy, gothic house. Always a good sign.


The costuming is amazing too, and I love the white dress Miranda wears to the ball (pictured above). Of course, the standout is the incredible acting, particularly from leading actors Gene Tierney and Vincent Price. It's so great watching them.


Here are their fear faces. Look at them! So good.


Watch Dragonwyck. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x