Making "Beautiful Eyes" | Rotoscope Animation Stuff

Recently I made a small animation to test a super simple rotoscope style, so I thought I would include some frames here and talk about it a bit.


I love how weird and goofy you can make individual frames. I was using some footage of myself and some of the eye and mouth movements especially look so funny when translated into hand drawn frames. One of them straight up looks like Alan Partridge, and I am thrilled by this.


I really like how this turned out in terms of the simplicity, because of course hand drawing each frame takes a pretty long time, even though I'm effectively tracing images that are pre-existing (although of course, I had to make those images in the first place, so there is time needed before you even get to the part where you're animating), but using a style like this allows me to make good use of my time whilst also retaining some of the quirks of hand drawn animation.


I think that in a way it works better than more complex frames would, in that there's a unique sort of expressiveness and a neat feel to these frames because of the white space and relatively uncomplicated lines. It has a floaty feel that I like, and the goofiness that comes naturally from drawing over expressions made while talking and moving is great, but also enhanced by a barebones approach to the drawings.


I drew them as quickly as I reasonably could, and in some ways I think that rush sort of added to this goofy and slightly surreal feel, which I really like (especially with the element of the four eyes portion of the animation).


There's so much about rotoscoping that is uniquely satisfying, and despite its ostensible rigidity and time consumption, I really want to experiment more with what I can do with it. It's so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x