New York

So, New York. Where do I start? I've been there before, five years ago, as a small child of 22. It's weird how much it's possible to forget about a place. It's the only place I've been where I've had time to walk around on my own, and maybe that's part of why I like it. It just feels natural to be there, and I love walking around. It's one of my great passions, just to walk around. Also there are so many fountains. Why are there so many fountains? I love them.

Flowers outside Teuscher Chocolates, off 5th Avenue.

The first time I went there it snowed, but it was never too cold. Actually, I've always been about the right temperature in New York. Maybe that's the only reason I like it there. I've just been blessed with comfortable temperatures there. This time it was usually warm but mild, the perfect weather, but it rained to flood level on the one day I had to meet a friend. Puddles and leaves everywhere. My jacket got soaked through and I just had to carry it, but it wasn't too cold.

5th Avenue.

I flew out on the 21st of September, so of course I have had Earth, Wind and Fire's song, September, stuck in my head intermittently. And I always will. Every moment. For the rest of my life. Apparently Ricky Gervais went there the next day, so I'm imagining how funny it would have been to be on the same flight as him. Me, sleep deprived, recognising Ricky Gervais on my way back from the plane toilet after a glass of wine. Probably trying really hard to stop myself from doing the David Brent dance right then and there. God, what an image. Anyway, luckily for everyone, that didn't happen.

A bird friend I made at Thomas Paine Park.

One thing being in New York reminded me is that... I'm shy. Sometimes, at least. I don't know if I can truly be categorised as shy. I don't know if I'm definitively shy. But being around strangers a lot, and around new things, and stuff like that just brings out this shyness in me that I completely forget exists. It feels so strange, like I've forgotten who I am for years. Is this shy person really me? I don't know, it's very weird to forget something like that, but I guess things like that can circle around. I don't know if I'm capital S Shy, but it's something. In some kind of way, I'm shy. But walking around on my own I feel the opposite. Looking at all the tiny birds and tall buildings. I mean, obviously, being shy is situated around being with other people, but I feel comfortable and happy there on my own. It makes me wonder what it would be like to really travel alone. I've never done that.

A nice frog in ABC Playground.

I wish that going to sleep somewhere didn't have to cost money. I mean, plane tickets are one thing, but imagine if shelter was a non-issue. Obviously that's most important for people who are homeless, but you know, it would make it so accessible to travel, to go somewhere and just be there. It's scary that everything costs money. I will trade you a cucumber for a house. Please.

Rose II by Isa Genzken, at the MoMA.

I miss it already in a way that I don't think I've missed anywhere before, except maybe Scotland. I do miss Scotland. I can't wait to get rained on there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x