My Passion: Doing Nothing

Ahhh, is there anything more satisfying than lying down, wearing some fuzzy socks, and scrolling some good online websites while listening to ABBA? I think not. It's funny that "doing nothing" tends to mean doing a particular kind of aimless something. It's still a something, but maybe a restful or thoughtless something. A nice something. Sometimes I really do take a minute to just stare at a wall though. A pure nothing. Sometimes that's necessary.


It's weird though, I think that most of the time I'm always doing something. I always have a to-do list and a swirling cloud of ideas and things I want to attend to in the back of my mind. I always need to tidy up or organise some files, since those things are just constant maintenance things rather than a specific "do this now and then it will be done" type of thing. Right now I have two small animation projects that I know I have to work on later, and I plan on making some drawings later to post on Twitter and Tumblr. I'm writing this post right now, which is a thing. There's a series I want to start watching on Netflix, and a movie a friend talked about that I want to watch soon. Diary entries to write. Songs I've bookmarked the links to on YouTube and last.fm that I want to add to a Spotify playlist. Plans.


But I've been taking time to just sit and scroll lately. I used to do it a lot more. I would scroll through Tumblr all day and look at all the paintings and strange pictures of animals and screenshots removed from all context in order to be more poetic or mysterious or silly. And I think that doing that can be really valuable and relaxing. Obviously it's pretty easy to do it too much, or become a bit too compelled to keep scrolling or refreshing when you've long since gotten bored, but it's pretty nice to take some time out to just look at things and rest.

4 comments:

  1. I love doing nothing too, slows me down and keeps me calm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! It's so important to do nothing sometimes, just to listen to music and think and dream, we need that in order to fill up our batteries. And usually, right afterwards we do lots of things we've only just thought of while doing 'nothing'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it definitely makes me filled with ideas and plans and stuff when I'm doing some nothing. It's magic.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x